[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Credit Card privacy

> > >As far as I can tell, they aren't using any security whatsoever to get their
> > >credit card numbers.  Is this common, or am I missing something here?
> > >
> > I think its common and becoming more common.

> Yes, this is true, but the credit card companies' problems will
> eventually become everyone's problems if we let it.

I agree, it is everyone's problem; when the banks and merchants lose, the
customers pay more prices. I don't believe credit card use over the net would
be prohibited, but it may be more expensive than necessary. It is all a
question
of risk and commissions, at least for the banks and cc companies.

> Unfortunately, schemes based on encrypting credit cards in transit to
> the merchant (using SSL, SHTTP, PGP, or whatever) only solve a very tiny
> portion of this problem.  If the merchant decrypts the credit card, his
> machine becomes an attractive target for criminals.

Correct.

> The name of the game, then, is protecting the banks while keeping things
> super-easy for the customer.  These are the two primary motivations
> behind First Virtual's system, which accomplishes both quite nicely.

Well, except that its security is limited (essentially to call-back security
to authenticate the user), it's cost is pretty high (look at FV's rates and
they claim that these respresent their costs as a reason why there won't be
more `second and third virtual' - this also makes sense as it's an expensive
infrastructure).

These goals are also the goals of our iKP protocol, which we propose to extend
into an open, license-free standard. We got very favorable responses from
important banks and credit card companies, in particular Master Card, who
announced they consider iKP a good basis for network payments, are now
negotiating with Visa on agreeing on a joint standard. We also got positive

In our discussions with credit card companies and banks it is clear that
payment using iKP would be one of the _least_ expensive ways to buy with
a credit card. Quite the contrary of an extra pay of FV solution (not that
it's their fault - they did the right thing by providing some relief
immediately).

Payment protocols, in particular iKP, are discussed on the list
e-payment@cc.bellcore.com.

To subscribe, send a message to
majordomo@cc.bellcore.com with the body of the message
subscribe e-payment

The iKP paper is in:
> http://www.zurich.ibm.ch/Technology/Security/extern/ecommerce/

You can get the iKP paper also via anonymous ftp, directly:

   ftp ftp.zurich.ibm.ch
            (OR ftp.zurich.ibm.com)
   cd /pub/sti/g-kk/shadow/publications/1995
   get ikp.ps
OR
   get ikp.ps.gz

> If
> you haven't already checked us out, you can learn how it works at
> http://www.fv.com.  We've been fully operational (real money) since
> October 15, 1994.  For over four months now, our user base & transaction
> volume have been growing at a steady 15% per WEEK (although recent signs
> are that the rate of growth is now INCREASING even from that level).  We
> now have two Fortune 500 companies selling with First Virtual

That's great. I do sincerely hope FV would be successful with their
business and Mall. However their security solution cannot be competitive
for the long run. Let's focus on refining and getting to a good standard soon.

Best, Amir